Thursday, February 13, 2014

Redneck GPS Navigator

A Sketch by Christamar Varicella

CAST: KENNETH, BARB, BILLY BOB

KENNETH AND BARB GET INTO A CAR DRESSED FOR A FORMAL OCCASION.

BARB
Do you have directions?

KENNETH

(PULLS OUT CELL PHONE)I’ll use GPS.  I just downloaded a new voice app.


BARB

(WITH A TRACE OF CONCERN) You’re not still using the one with the Australian accent?

KENNETH

This one’s even better.  Check it out.

BILLY BOB (GPS)

Hey, I’m Billy Bob.  Where ya’ll wanna go?

BARB

Are you kidding me?  Someone made a navigator app with a redneck accent?

KENNETH

(Stifling laughter)I’ll punch in the address of the church.  (TYPES IN NUMBERS)

BILLY BOB

Lemme thank for a minute...  Okay, so what you wanna do is keep on headin’ down yonder a ways.

KENNETH

(AMUSED) Yonder a ways.  Got it.

BILLY BOB

You know that place down HWY 38?  It used to be a Safeway.  Before that I think it was a Piggly Wiggly.  It’s near that stand where the old dude sells duck decoys.

BARB

You know, I don’t think we know where that is.


BILLY BOB

You’re gonna go through 12, maybe 13 red lights until you see a burned-out tractor trailer.  Go through another couple of lights and then hang your next left.

BARB

For GPS, it’s not very precise.

BILLY BOB

Hey Man, quick take a right. This one here.

KENNETH TURNS SUDDENLY.



BARB

What?  This is a Gas N Go.

BILLY BOB

We need some beer.  Go pick us up a case of Bud.

KENNETH

A beer would be good right about now. 

BARB

(GETTING EXASPERATED) No.  You are not going to drink before your sister’s wedding.

KENNETH SHRUGS AND CONTINUES DRIVING

BILLY BOB

Say, you guys ever been to a cockfight?

BARB

Are you kidding me? We do not want to go to a cockfight. 

BILLY BOB

It’s basically just a couple of chickens trying to rip each other a new
 butthole.

BARB

I know what  a cockfight is.  Wait, why am I talking to this thing?

BILLY BOB

Sometimes, they tie razors to their feet.  It can get pretty bloody.

BARB

Honey, why is the GPS telling us about cockfighting?

KENNETH

I don’t know.  It’s kind of educational.

BILLY BOB

Keep on going... Hey, you see that thing up their a ways?

KENNETH

What?  What thing?

BILLY BOB

It used to be a billboard for denture cream.  Now their advertising
some Jew law firm, or some crap.

BARB

Oh, it’s a racist.  Our GPS is a racist. 


BILLY BOB

You wanna take a left at that sign.

KENNETH

(TURNING LEFT)  Is this the way?  I didn’t see any tractor trailer.

BILLY BOB

 Keep on driving a couple miles.  I know this little bordello where a Chiquita banana will let you snort blow out of her belly button.  Ya’ll up for some fun?


KENNETH
(HOPEFUL)  Honey?

BARB
No!

KENNETH TURNS CAR AROUND

BILLY BOB

Technically it’s more of a truck stop than a bordello.  Hey, wait a minute! Why are your turning around?  Are you some kind of a sissy or somethin’?

KENNETH

Hey Man, that’s not cool. 

BILLY BOB

I see how it is.  Nobody ever wants to go where Billy Bob wants to go.  You know, if you aren’t interested in the ladies, they got another stall where you can play footsie with a dude for ten bucks an hour.  I could stay in the car and keep your friend company. 


KENNETH

That’s my wife!

BILLY BOB

(TO BARB) Say, Baby.  You’re kind of cute.  What are you hangin’ out with this gay guy for?

BARB

You know he used to be very romantic.

KENNETH

Honey!


BILLY BOB

You and I should go out some time.  I could show you a good time.


BARB

(FLIRTY) Oh yeah? What would you do?

KENNETH

Are you seriously encouraging this thing?

BILLY BOB

Hey, Bud. This is it.  This is your place.  Turn right here.

(KENNETH TURNS)

KENNETH

Wait, this doesn't look right. 

BILLY BOB

When you get to the door, ask for Elroy.  The password is Red Bull.  In the third bout, put a hundred on the Chickenator for me.  I’ll pay you back later.

KENNETH

You know what?  You know what?  Fine.  (HE GETS OUT OF THE CAR)


BARB

(BARB REACHES FOR PHONE, MAKES ADJUSTMENT)

BILLY BOB

G’d day, Mate.  ‘ow’s my little wallaby?

BARB
Alone at last.

SCENE

The Daily Brass is a parody blog devoted to Poetry, Literature, Reviews, Essays, and Culture.