Saturday, August 16, 2014

This is What My Stand-up Comedy Routine Would Look Like if I Went Onstage Today

I WOULD START IN THE TRADITIONAL MANNER.

ME

I must be getting old.  This morning I threw my back out while I was yawning.

NEXT, I REENACT THE EVENT, BUT IN DOING SO, I THROW OUT MY BACK AGAIN.

ME

Uh oh.  I did it again.


(I LEAN TO ONE SIDE WITH ONE SHOULDER HIGHER THAN THE OTHER.  I CAN’T MOVE MY NECK.  I’M LIKE IGOR FROM FRANKENSTEIN.

ME

Oh well.  That’s it.  Good night, Everybody.

I START TO EXIT STAGE LEFT, BUT STOP WHEN I SEE AN IMAGINARY PERSON OFFSTAGE.

ME

I know I still have five minutes left, but I can’t do it.  I’m injured.

(PAUSE)

ME

But... But... You’re not even paying me.

(PAUSE)

ME

It’s a free country.  I don’t have to...

(PAUSE)
ME

I do have to?

I TURN BACK TO THE AUDIENCE, OBVIOUSLY STILL IN PAIN.  I GLANCE BACK AT THE IMAGINARY PERSON OFFSTAGE.

ME

You want me to dance?  I don’t think I can do that.  I’m not even a good dancer under regular circumstances.

(PAUSE WHILE LOOKING OFFSTAGE.)  I BEGIN TO DANCE.  WITH GREAT DIFFICULTY, STILL HOLDING MY DISTORTED POSE, I SWING MY ARMS AND KICK MY FEET LIKE A TAP DANCER.)

ME

(TO IMAGINARY PERSON OFFSTAGE) I don’t know how long I can do this.

(TO ANOTHER IMAGINARY PERSON TO MY RIGHT)  What’s that?  I don’t have to keep dancing if I don’t want to.

I STOP DANCING.

ME

The person offstage isn’t real?

I LOOK OFFSTAGE AND THEN BACK TO MY RIGHT.

ME

You mean, not only is there something wrong with my back, there is something is wrong with my head as well?

(PAUSE)

ME

I should see a doctor?

(PAUSE)



ME

Oh, you are a doctor.  What kind of...?

(PAUSE)

ME

Oh, a urologist.  I see.

(PAUSE)

ME

Say, while I’ve got you here, could you take a look at something for me?

I TURN MY BACK TO THE AUDIENCE WHILE UNBUCKLING MY BELT.  IT SHOULD BE CLEAR THAT I AM LETTING THE IMAGINARY UROLOGIST LOOK DOWN THE FRONT OF MY PANTS.

ME

What do you mean you don’t see anything?  (POINTING) It’s right there!

(PAUSE)

ME

Yes, that.

(PAUSE)

ME

I know it’s a penus.  What’s that on the side there?

(LONG PAUSE)

ME

(SHAKING HEAD) No, I don’t think it is funny.  This isn’t a joking matter.

(PAUSE)


ME
Really?  That’s it?  That’s all you have to say?  Maybe if I don’t think about it, it will go away.

(PAUSE)

ME

Well, I think I need a second opinion.

(PAUSE)

ME

I don’t think I should have to give you a $45 copay.  I don’t even have insurance.

(PAUSE)

ME

What do you mean, then the price goes up to $1500?  You didn’t do anything.

(PAUSE)

ME

No, I don’t think you stand around all day giving free penus exams, but...

(PAUSE)

ME

Well, some people would.

(PAUSE)

ME

Yes they would.  They might even pay me for the privilege.  Some anyway. 

(PAUSE)

ME

No, I don’t want to look at yours.

(PAUSE)
ME

Yes it is fair.  Wait, are you even a doctor?

(PAUSE)

ME

You’re a... You’re a Love Doctor.  You know what?  I think my time is up.  Goodnight Everybody.


I LURCH OFFSTAGE.

No comments:

Post a Comment